Takeaway: This article is going to be enjoyed by people who love getting high and enjoy drinking Mojitos! Individually they are great products, but just imagine, what happened if we combined them. Tempting… isn’t it!? Well like everything, there is a right way and a wrong way. We are here to guide you through the correct and precise method to make a Cannabis-Infused Mojito.
Imagine a hot summer afternoon, with the sun shining much too bright and the air around you sultry and clogged with the humidity. You get up fanning your face to increase the blowing air from the cooler, but it’s almost like the cooler is just blowing the outside air to turn your place into a huge oven.
And all you want is that perfect mojito from La Bodeguita del Medio in Cuba!
For those of you who do not know the history of mojito, let me take you a few centuries back. Although the exact origin is a little hard to figure, it does have interesting theories behind it.
Some say that the African slaves who worked in the sugar cane fields of Cuba drank Guarapo, which is a juice often found in mojito.
The theory that I love (which doesn’t make it the true one, though) is that it was used as a medicinal drink used to cure dysentery and scurvy. Sir Francis Drake, on his ship to Havana, used the drink to cure his men of the illness.
However, a name that is attached to the drink is that of Ernest Hemingway, who frequently visited La Bodeguita del Medio and is the one who popularized the drink.
Mojo the root word for mojito means ‘to cast a magic spell.’ And I think the drink is aptly named. And if you are in quite a mood and want to experiment a little to make the drink even more exciting, you can make a cannabis-infused mojito.
I know exactly what you are thinking! The magic spell has been cast!
And If you are wondering how to make the Marijuana mojito, I have the perfect recipe for you. I think it would make for a fantastic welcome drink for the little party you’ve been planning to have. And if you haven’t been planning, no time is as good as now!
But, first things first.
If you really want to enjoy the marijuana recipes, use the best quality cannabis. And for optimum usage, marijuana should be cured. The process of decarboxylation is fundamental. I’ll tell you why.
“Raw marijuana” THCA and CBDA are acidic variants of the cannabinoids that is, the cannabinoid has a carboxyl group attached to it. You won’t really feel the high unless your cannabis is decarboxylated to give THC and CBD.
And since we want to use the cannabis, we do want to get high, don’t we?
The process of decarboxylation is super simple, and although the word seems complicated, it just means that we expose the cannabis to heat.
Why the complicated words, though? I never get it.
- Use a grinder to break your cannabis bus into smaller pieces. (Honestly, the grinder is just ‘cool’ to use. You can easily use your hands to do it too.)
- Preheat your oven to a 110-degree celsius. I am sure you know how anal I am about these recipe-mentioned temperature!
- While your oven is heating, you can place the cannabis on a baking sheet.
- Place the sheet with marijuana inside the oven. Let it heat for 40 minutes. (More or less can affect the potency of your cannabis. You wouldn’t want to risk any deviation, right?)
There, it’s done!
While making this fantastic CBD infused drink, we need some basic ingredients and kitchen tools.
- Mint leaves about 7g. I really don’t know how the recipe would change if you take 8g, but okay.
- Refined sugar or brown sugar 14g
- Half lime either cut up into slices or its juice. I guess the juice is better. Yup, go for the juice.
- About 45-60 ml of marijuana-infused rum Use high-end white rum, if you want it to taste better. Of course, you’d want it to taste better! Then, white rum it is.
- Mineral or soda water You can use sprite or sparkling water if you like. Try variations and pick what you like the best. After all, it’s going to be your recipe once you make it.
If you want to garnish your drink, use some mint leaves or cannabis leaves. Be imaginative! But don’t add apples!
RECIPE TO MAKE CANNABIS-INFUSED RUM
There are a couple of ways to make cannabis-infused rum. The only difference is the amount of time it requires. And also, depending on the time, the potency varies.
Since we all are lazy and want things done quickly, I’ll share the recipe that requires lesser time, first. I use this because lazy is me, and I am lazy. But if you are invested in this marijuana drink recipe, I’d recommend the second.
- Advice 1: Use high-end white rum, so that after all the hard work you do, the mojito made should taste yum more than anything else.
- Use tights or cut-up pantyhose as a teabag. Place the marijuana in it.
- Suspend the make-shift tea bag into the rum bottle or container. You can let the top of the tights stick out of the container so that once the cannabis is macerated, you can easily remove it.
- Place the container in the refrigerator and allow the infusion to take place for at least 24-48 hours.
- You can now remove the make-shift tea bag.
Voila, your cannabis-infused rum is ready.
- Advice 2: Use a full bottle of rum for this method since the potency of the end product is pretty high.
- Place the marijuana in the bottle of rum.
- Along with that, add about 20g of cannabis leaves, stems, or bud into it.
- Close the bottle properly, and place it in a fresh, dark place.
- Give the bottle a good shake once or twice a week.
- Continue this process for at least two months.
- At the end of two months, open the bottle, strain out the cannabis and its trimmings, and pour the rum back into the bottle.
Advice 3: Useless cannabis for this method since the cannabinoids are fully diluted in this type of maceration. Hence the potency is really high.
And now, we can finally go on to the recipe of the cannabis-infused mojito. But, do not be hasty and ignore the above procedures.
Because, Advice 4: for the mojito to be amazing, and to enjoy the high (like you want to), all of the above is crucial.
CANNABIS MOJITO RECIPE (finally):
- Take sugar, mint leaves, and squeezed lime juice and crush them into a paste using a pestle. Advice 5: It is vital that you do not cut up the mint leaves but crush them enough so that essential oils ooze out of the herb.
- Add crushed ice and the cannabis-infused rum, which we prepared with a lot of care.
- Add your preferred type of soda.
- Garnish it with mint or cannabis leaves because Advice 6: what looks good, tastes even better!
If you want to play around with the ingredients, mixologist Kenji Jesse has some advice for you. You can replace the powdered sugar or sugar syrup with honey and use ginger ale instead of soda water. This will bring a fun twist to your drink!
Also, if you are bored of using the regular rum, you do not have to be rigid with the recipe. You can add fresh fruit rum or flavored rum, instead. That will make it taste different and amazing.
And if you are not in the mood to drink, you can make cannabis-infused mint mojito popsicles. They taste so good and I haven’t met a person who doesn’t like popsicles!
Cooking with cannabis is so much fun because one, it’s the kind of variation you’d enjoy cooking to have fun along with letting yourself lose. And two, the anticipation that builds in you while making it, makes it taste sweeter than you can imagine!
While most of you would have made and tried marijuana brownies, you should definitely go for making the marijuana mojito for the sultry summers.
And if the weather’s too cold to enjoy a mojito, I suggest CBD infused coffee. Because honestly, who doesn’t like coffee?
Advice infinity: But please try this mojito first?
Advice infinity + 1: Mojitos as a drink is so tasty that people generally cannot keep track of how much they drink. But since this drink has cannabis infused in it, it should be consumed in moderation.
If you are starting with it, try to have it in a small amount, preferably at home. You can even avoid mixing it with alcohol. Enjoy the flavor and the high, but be careful and stay safe.