According to the available documents, the history of the use of Marijuana by the human race traced back to at least 3000 BCE, and possibly even older according to the archaeological evidence.
Most of the ancient Asian cultures, including Japan, China & India, have not cultivated Marijuana to get high but as a food source and for medical use. They were also using the hemp to make clothes, ropes, shoes, and paper.
The cannabis plant was initially cultivated only in Central Asia before it reached the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and the United States.
Here we introduce some of the latest and interesting Marijuana fun facts that many of you might not be aware of.
1) As of January 2019, 33 states, four permanently inhabited U.S. territories, and the Washington District of Columbia have legalized medical cannabis in the U.S.
2) In 1973, Oregon became the first state to decriminalize cannabis, and in 2012 Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational use of Marijuana.
3) The American states – Seattle & Washington have placed marijuana vending machines across the state. The machine called ZaZZ takes cash or coins since the federal government doesn’t allow people to buy Marijuana with credit or debit cards.
4) Can overdose on Marijuana kill someone? Hypothetically Yes! But for that, a smoker would have to consume approximately 1,500 pounds of Marijuana. That too, within fifteen minutes, to ingest a lethal dose of Marijuana.
5) Samuel Caldwell was named the first U.S. citizen to be arrested for selling Marijuana without paying the newly mandated tax, under the Marihuana Tax Act in October 1937. He was fined $1,000 and sentenced to four years of hard labor in Leavenworth.
6) The first documented use of Marijuana as a medicine dates back to 2737 B.C. by Chinese emperor Shen Nung. The emperor noted the drug’s effectiveness in treating rheumatism and severe pain.
7) Irvin Rosenfeld gets acknowledged by the Guinness Book of World Records under the category “most pot consumed” for consuming over 115,000 joints in the year 2014.
8) The first thing that ever sold on the Internet was a bag of Marijuana!! In 1971 or 1972, Stanford students used Arpanet to buy weed from their counterparts at MIT.
9) Medical researchers have found that a marijuana compound can freeze the spread of several types of aggressive cancer. It can also help to treat nausea and vomiting; the side effects of chemotherapy.
10) The known Marijuana enthusiast celebrity- Bob Marley was buried with his Bible, his guitar, and a bud of Marijuana, as per his request.
11) The largest legal marijuana plantation is located in Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario. The greenhouse spans over 350,000 square feet and carries over 17 different strains.
12) Marijuana has become the fastest growing industry in the U.S. since 2015. It is estimated that, if Marijuana is made legal in all 50 states of the USA, then the Marijuana industry will overtake the organic food market.
13) In the early ’90s, Farmers in Bhutan used to feed Marijuana to pigs to make them lazy, so they fattened up. Cannabis grows wildly all over Bhutan and is relatively abundant, making it cheap pig feed.
14) As per United Nations report from the Office of Drug and Crime, Iceland has the highest rate of cannabis smokers in the world, followed by the USA, Nigeria & Canada.
15) Hemp and pot are different. Even while hemp plants are the same species as marijuana plants, they don’t produce the psychoactive ingredient called THC, which is available in the pot.
Some Popular Marijuana Nicknames & Street Names
- Pot – The nickname “pot” comes from the Mexican Spanish word Potiguaya or Potaguaya, which means “marijuana leaves.”
- Grass – Referred by the fact that Marijuana is a plant.
- 420 – In 1971, some high school kids in California met at the Louis Pasteur statue at 4:20 PM to get high. 20th April(4/20) is now also an unofficial Weed Day.
- Ganja – The Sanskrit word used to describe Marijuana.
- Dope – Refers to the after effect of smoking; sleepy or ‘dopey.’
- Herb – Refer to the fact that cannabis is a plant & had its roots in medicine.
- Joint – “Joint” seems to have come from the American word “joinery”, which refers to a part of the building.
- Blunt – Presumably, for a stubby hand-rolled joint that turns blunt on one end when it burns.
- Cannabis – Plant name.
- Reefer – Come from the early 1900’s movie Reefer Madness where a man smokes bud, and it makes him go insane, killing his whole family.
- Mary Jane – Refers to the People in America talk about “meeting with Mary Jane” as a euphemism for getting high.
- Buds – The part of the marijuana plant that is commonly harvested.
- Nuggets – Refers to the shape of weed buds.
- Chronic – A stoner is someone who is also a chronic who smokes weeds every day.
- Tobacco – Because of its similar effects to tobacco.
- Boom – Refers to the impact on smoking; when weed hits you like an explosion.
- Blaze – Refer to the activities related to smoking.
- Ashes – Refers to the ashes that are produced on burning weed.
- Broccoli – Refers to the buds of Marijuana that look like little Broccoli.
Top 15 Most Funny Marijuana Memes
1) A Friend with Weed is a Friend in Indeed.
2) Bob Marley, We’re sorry!
3) Lead us, Snoop Dogg!
4) Sativa vs. Indica
5) Lighter or No Lighter. The show must go on!
7) What marijuana?
8) Would it?
9) For stoners, Every day is a special day!
10) The government is high on Marijuana.
11) Priority you see!
12) Yes, we all are a florist.
13) Already getting that vibes!
14) Weed runs through our veins.
15) Do we?
Don’t forget to share these amazing Marijuana fun facts, Marijuana memes, and Marijuana nicknames to your fellow stoner friends.